Heart shedding it's skin
Extracting TDI engine from VW Jetta
The heart of this project is the Volkswagen Turbo Direct Injection diesel engine. It was the only engine that had the efficiency, power, and weight that I was looking for. The fact that people had already mated them to Toyota transmissions only increased the attraction.
In order to make sure I would have everything to make the engine function properly, I bought a whole car that had been written off. I had proved that the engine was working, now all I needed to do was extract it from it's damaged body. I began by removing the front end and everything around it. Then I disconnected everything attached to the motor. When the axles didn't want to cooperate with me, I decided to cut the one in half to save time. I was then able to pull the engine and transmission and drop it to the ground.
It is at this point that I should have lined up the flywheel to the bell housing timing marks and made new timing marks on the front of the crank. But no, I was to eager to get the thing on the stand and admire it. I ended up making an aluminium template with the bell housing timing marks, and a couple of bolt holes to aline it with the block.
Once the engine bay was cleared of all its contents, it was time to clean out the inside. I focused on the wiring mostly at first. I wanted to get everything that I needed for the ECU out before I went to town on the rest of the car. When I had all the important stuff removed, I detached everything else and boxed it up and put it in my 4 door storage shed. In the end there was nothing but a shell of a car and a TDI bolted to a stand. Only the windshield and some suspension parts remained on the body.