Getting it in to Gear
Extending the shifter
I knew from my first measurements that the transmission shifter was going to be about 16" forward of the stock Integra location. I spent a lot of time looking at different options to fix the problem. I ended up using parts of what I saw to make my own design.
I started by bending the Toyota shifter a little straighter. I did this with a oxy-ace torch and a vise. Once the steel was nice and red I could bend the shifter by hand. Then I cut the shifter down to about 5" long. With the piece I cut off I made my dummy shifter. I mounted the shortened shifter on a set of perpendicular pivots to give it a free range of motion. I wanted to get this done quickly just to see how well it would work so I used threaded rod and nuts (12mm) to make all the pivots.
Because I'm 6'2" I have the seat pushed all the way back. This puts the stock shifter location I little farther forward then I like. To fix this I cut out the shifter hole and rotated it 180 degrees and bolted it back in. This pushed it back about 4" and placed it right where i liked it.
With the shifter mounted I could mock up the connecting rod I would be using. instead of bolting things together, I welded them in order to get the job done quicker. But because of this I can't really take it apart. I can remove the whole assembly from the vehicle, but any repairs would involve cutting it apart.
I'm calling this the beta version and using it to make sure I like the feel of the shifter while driving. The next version will be serviceable and adjusted to best suit my taste. For something that only took me a couple of evenings to make, it feels like it will work quite well.