Hold the Power in Place
Custom motor mounts
I did a lot of research on motor mounts before I went with what I did. I wanted something that was going to be simple and strong. To keep things simple I put the mounts in locations where it would be easy to bolt up to the VW block. I wasn't sure which mounts I wanted to use, so I decided to stay with the Toyota ones for now. Because my mount brackets are so simple I could probably upgrade my mounts to hydraulic in the future if I wanted to. I've read that the Toyota mounts do a good job of isolating vibration while driving, with only a small amount of vibration at idle.
On the passenger side there was lots of room to work with. It made designing the mount brackets very easy. First I made a plate that bolted on to the block. I had to measure the depth offset of the four mounting holes. I did this by holding a straight edge flush with the face on the highest hole to create my zero plane. Then, using my digital caliper, I measured how much deeper the other mounting holes were from this zero plane. Once I had the measurements I made some spacers that I welded to the plate to fill in the gap. With the 1/4" plate secured to the block I could work on finding out the right angle for the mount. I held the mount where I wanted it to be and started taking angle measurements. With the bottom plate tacked in I could make gussets and weld everything together.
With the engine side bracket done I could work on the frame side. For this I just made everything out of card stock and then cut the pieces out of 1/8" steel. I think it should be strong enough. I still have to get to the underside welds done but I'll do that when I flip the frame and do the rest of the bottom welds.
The Drivers side was a lot more cramped. There was only one place where I could bolt a bracket to and that just happen to be where the upper control arm was mounted to the frame. To make everything work I had to make the frame side bracket quite large. This way I could weld it to places on both sides of the control arm mount without getting in it's way. The frame side mount is made out of 1/8" steel.
The driver's block side bracket was made out of two 1/4" plates gusseted with 1/8" steel. In order for the bracket and mount to clear the water pump outlet pipe, I had to trim the notch on the pump and rotate the 90° elbow up and out of the way. It's a tight area but I think there should be room for a coolant hose.