Time for Some Go and Slow Controls
Modifying and integrating pedal clusters
There were two things that I had to change with the Acura pedal configuration. I needed to modify the brake setup to accept the Toyota master cylinder (MC) and I needed to add the TDI accelerator pedal.
I wanted to use the Toyota MC to insure that the whole braking system would be matched and adequate for the weight of my project. I started by building a new cluster bracket that fit the bolt pattern of the the Toyota MC. Then I welded on what was left of the Integra brake pedal bracket. Getting the Toyota MC link rod to attach to the Integra brake pedal required a little work. I found a pin that was the right length to join them together but it was sloppy on the one side of the Toyota clevis. The easy solution was to machine a small spacer that would take up the slop. Thanks to my lathe I had a perfectly sized spacer in a matter of minutes. The assembly was test fitted and worked well other then the MC hitting the firewall. To alleviate this problem I constructed a 3/8" spacer out of aluminum plate to move the MC away from the fire wall.
With the brake pedal sorted out I could start mocking up the TDI fuel pedal. The VW TDI engine uses a drive by wire system for the accelerator pedal. Because of the special potentiometer it uses and the bracketing linking it to the pedal, I decided to keep it all in one piece. I cut the throttle assembly from the rest of the VW cluster keeping all the pedal to pot linkages in tact. Then I figured out where it needed to be joined to the cluster to maintain proper pedal spacing and height in the Integra. Working slowly to make sure everything was square, I welded the TDI pedal to the modified Integra cluster. Everything worked well and bolted in to the car nicely, but the go pedal still needed more support. To provide this support I used the original mounting holes on the TDI bracket and secured some studs (upper right pic) to the car to match. With a couple of spacers on the back of the bracket, the whole cluster could be firmly bolted in to the car.
I'm happy with the way the whole cluster turned out. If there's one thing that I want to work right the first time I test it, it's the brakes.