September October 2010
Relationships Have their Compromises
Modifying the body mounts
Mounting the body to the frame is one of the most important parts of this project. It's not a particularly hard thing to do, but it has to be done right. The location of the stock 4Runner mounts were close to where they needed to be but not exact. I selected to leave the B-pillar mounts in their stock location and use them as my reference line. I then drilled two holes into the Integra to complement these mounts. This reference line would be used to make sure everything else was square and in the right place across both structures. The A-pillar mounts were a little too far forward and the C-pillar mounts were I little too far back and had to be moved. Moving the mounts was as easy as cutting them off with an angle grinder and welding them back on where I needed them.
I was originally thinking of using new stock body mounts. When I found out the cost of purchasing all new mounts I decided to look else where. Energy Suspension looked like they had a good product so I thought I would try them out. I used some of their generic isolator kits, part number 9-4102G. The cost was about a third of the Toyota mounts. The only extra work I had to do was build four 1/4" thick weld in washers to reduce the size of the holes.
While I was moving mounts I also patched up holes in the frame to give it a cleaner look. Any area where I had to weld on a mount I made sure to clean the surface of rust. I did this using a grinding disc with light pressure. I plan on getting the whole frame sand blasted once I complete all the modifications.
The new C-pillar mounts (above right pic) started with a piece of 1/4" plate with a body mount hole in it. I tacked it to the frame in the location it needed to be while I make cardboard templates for the two 1/8" thick supporting pieces. After I traced and cut out the side pieces I removed the 1/4" piece and welded the whole thing together on the bench. With all three parts securely welded together I burnt the mount on to the frame. One of the bonuses of this design is that it also helps to strengthen the spring mount.